Friday, July 2, 2010

Fit Test ... UGH!

I just completed the Fit Test. It's a series of strength and/or endurance moves, first to determine against recommended minimums if the user is fit enough to even begin P90X, and, second to establish the user's baseline for future growth and improvement. It's just a measuring tool, but CRAPPO! It felt like a workout all the same! I'll be sore tomorrow. That must be why they recommend to do the Fit Test a couple of days prior to beginning P90X.

According to my home scale, this afternoon I weighed 178 pounds, with a body fat percentage of 26%.

Measurements:

Chest: 42"
Waist (at navel): 39"
Hips: 38
Thighs, r.: 21.5"; l.: 21"
Biceps, r.: 13"; l.: 13"

Resting Heart Rate: 59

Pull-ups to failure (minimum 3): 0 (though they count 1/4 to 3/4 of a pull-up as one!) so, 3!

Vertical leap (minimum 5"): 8"

Push-ups to failure (minimum 15): 19

Toe touch (seated on floor, no bend in knees) (minimum 6" from touching, or a -6): 0 (I touched!)

Wall squat (back against wall, legs at 90° angle, thighs horizontal) (minimum 1 minute): 1:05 (this one is harder than you might imagine. At least it was for me!)

Bicep curls (minimum 10 curls with 20lbs): 23 curls with the red (I think) band. I'm not sure what this means...

In & Outs (seated on floor, hands at sides, feet off floor and bring knees to chest without touching floor with feet) (minimum 25): 30

Heart rate maximizer (jumping jacks at quick and steady pace for 2 minutes, with final 30 seconds at "sprint") (minimum: be able to complete the 2 minutes of jjacks): completed 2 minutes of jjacks with a maximum heart rate of 168, down to 95 within 4 minutes.

I was able to beat all the minimums (minima?) with the exception of the pull-ups. I think I psyched myself out of that because, without thinking about it the day I assembled the chin-up bar, I knocked out a pull-up with seemingly no effort. Today? Bupkis. So, I figure 7 outa 8 ain't bad.

I will press onward with P90X.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if you were ever that weight when we were together, that's fantastic already. Do you have one of those scales that gives your body fat percentage?

    One of my friends does the P90X and loves it. He's very disciplined, though. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nina-- If I was ever that weight when we were together, it was way at the beginning (though I think I was already at 200 when I moved in). I did get down to 184 in 2003 when I was following The Sugar Busters, but that didn't last past the holidays that year. Damn stuffing!

    I do have one of those scales. Bought it last year when I was working out with a personal trainer (who helped me get down to 190)...while I had a job.

    I'm not sure I have the discipline to make it all the way through this. I did go faithfully to the personal trainer three days a week, as well as doing cardio three days a week in between. It just fell apart after I got laid off. But I did maintain the weight (even lost 10 more pounds!), and I made it through the holidays unscathed. So there's some hope for me!

    ReplyDelete