Saturday, August 14, 2010

Motivation Deprivation

Over this past week I had a two-day shoot gig. Last month when I had a three-day shoot gig, I took only the three days, and suffered the consequences when I had a short week from which to make up the next week's lease payment on the taxi. This month I decided to take the whole week off. The coming week's lease is paid already, and I'll just pick up from where I left off.

All that aside, I knew that several days' loafing, as well as the two long days of shooting and traveling, would affect my motivation for working out. And I was right. Monday's workout came very late in the day ..er, night... Tuesday was the first day of the shoot, local, but then I drove to Muskegon, Michigan, and arrived late. There was definitely no opportunity to work out where I stayed (think RUSTIC). Wednesday I shot in Michigan, and then drove back, again arriving very late in the evening. Two days with no workouts.

Thursday was spent returning gear, the rental car, and I had a job interview downtown!! I failed to get the energy up and press play, so no workout Thursday, either. I originally thought I would knock out two workouts a day to catch up, but Friday I decided I would forgo all the cardio workouts for the week, and just focus on the resistance workouts...at least the ones I can do without my right shoulder. So Friday it was Biceps (I skipped Ab Ripper X because I wanted to get out to see a movie...yeah, motivation!!), and Saturday will be Legs and Ab Ripper X.

Good news, though, is that on Monday I finally bit the bullet and bought a sensible alternative to the stupid resistance bands. At $400 dollars that I really can't afford to spend, I bought a Bowflex SelecTech BD552 Dumbbells set:


Click on photo to embiggerate.
Don't worry, it won't get heavier...


They're mechanical dumbbells with selector knobs that, when the dumbbells are in their tray, allow the user to quickly change the weight from as light as 5 pounds each up to 52.5 pounds each. It was expensive, but I saved about $100 and a ton of space over buying individual pairs of dumbbells, not to mention the fact that the Bowflex set weighs a total of 105 pounds, where individual pairs of dumbbells, starting at 5 pounds and going up to 50 pounds in 5 pound increments per dumbbell, would weigh 550 pounds!! I got more than a quarter-ton of workout weights in a package that I can carry in two hands.

Theoretically.

May the next week I be faithful.



No comments:

Post a Comment