Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Retrograde: Day Zero ...and holding.

Well, not exactly setbacks, but I still haven't started. I mentioned earlier the P90X Fitness Guide and the Nutrition Guide. Other printed materials in the P90X box strongly suggested that I read both guides, so I did. And am I glad I did! There's a pre-start Fit Test that I have to take a couple days before I start the workouts to see if I'm even ready to tackle (or be tackled by, rather) P90X. It's a series of movement and strength measures to see if I'm up to the level of fitness recommended by the designers of the program. Sheesh! I hope I am, otherwise I blew some awful good money on that credit card I found....

So Tuesday I went out and bought a measuring tape, because I'm supposed to take "before" measurements of my chest, waist, upper arms, thighs, big toe on my left foot, third toe on my right, and the depth of my rectum. Why? I don't know. I just take their supplements, and suddenly I do whatever their literature commands.

Today I went back to Dick's and bought a heart rate monitor, as that is also highly recommended to use to measure whether I'm at my peak or over it. I peaked about 15 years ago, but I won't tell them if you won't.

Beyond the Fit Test, the Guides outline in pretty thick detail the workouts I'll be doing, how long they are, and what types of foods and how I should eat during each phase of the training. Where the hell I'm gonna find yak testicles is beyond me. I mean, at THIS time of year? Are you NUTS? (no pun inten... okay, yeah, I meant that.)

So I think I'll do the Fit Test during my transition break mid-day Thursday. I switch to overnights on Thursdays, so I'll get home, take a nap, wake up, measure my body, do the Fit Test, and, I hope, start working out on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment